Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now


Talk to friendshelpingfriends
Show: Conversations friendshelpingfriends's posts only
Show newest posts...

How Do You Get The Traffic

Creating pages and more so, creating pageviews is a very stiff competition.  The content has to be what someone is looking for.  It must be something that solves a need, that helps.  And of course, the keywords. 

The reason I say this, is this is what I am up against with my own websites.  There is so much competition out there..... I was always told that pages create pageviews.  The more out there, the more someone is likely to click to come to your site.

But the content..... the content has to be something different, something that will bring them in.  Copying and pasting is not the answer, as to much of the same thing will kill the chances of extra pages.  That is one thing I am finding.  Google is not a big fan of duplication.

Is there a way to boost Aidpage?  I believe there is..... unique content with keywords...... that would do it.  Then the pages added would be of value and more enticing to bring people in.

Just my thought on the subject.


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Renal Artery Angioplasty And Stenting

Please keep my husband in your prayers..... he is having this procedure done on Monday at 9:30 am.  Thanks everyone.....

Renal Artery Angioplasty and Stenting

What are renovascular conditions?

• Renovascular conditions affect the blood vessels of your kidneys.

•  When the blood flow is normal through your kidneys, your kidneys rid your body of wastes. The kidneys filter these wastes into your bladder, and they exit your body through your urine.

• When your kidney blood vessels narrow or have a clot, your kidney is less able to do its work.

• Your physician may diagnose you with renal artery stenosis or renal vein thrombosis.

• Renal artery stenosis is the narrowing of kidney arteries. This condition causes high blood pressure and may eventually lead to kidney failure.

• Renal vein thrombosis means that you have a blood clot blocking a vein in your kidney. Blood clots in renal veins are uncommon and rarely affect the kidney, but they can sometimes travel to and lodge in arteries supplying your lungs, causing a dangerous condition called a pulmonary embolism.

What are the symptoms?

• You may not notice any symptoms. Renovascular conditions develop slowly and worsen over time.

• If you have high blood pressure, the first sign that you may have renal artery stenosis is that your high blood pressure may become worse or the medications that you take to control your high blood pressure may not be effective.

• Other signs of renal artery stenosis are a whooshing sound in your abdomen that your physician hears through a stethoscope, decreased kidney function, and congestive heart failure.

• In renal vein thrombosis, a clot in your vein may break free and block a healthy blood vessel. If this happens, symptoms may include:
  • Pain in the sides of your abdomen, legs, or thighs
  • Blood in your urine
  • Protein in your urine
  • A enlarged kidney that your physician can feel
  • Fever, nausea, or vomiting
  • High blood pressure
  • Sudden, severe swelling in your leg
  • Difficulty breathing

What causes renovascular conditions?

• Hardening of the arteries causes renal artery stenosis.

• Your arteries are normally smooth and unobstructed on the inside but, as you age, a sticky substance called plaque can build up in the walls of your arteries. Cholesterol, calcium, and fibrous tissue make up this plaque. As more plaque builds up, your arteries narrow and stiffen.

•  This is the process of atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries. Eventually, enough plaque builds up to interfere with blood flow in your renal arteries.

• Smoking, obesity, advanced age, high cholesterol, diabetes, and a family history of cardiovascular disease are factors that increase your chances for developing atherosclerosis.

• Nephrotic syndrome is the most common cause of a clot in the renal vein (renal vein thrombosis). Nephrotic syndrome is a condition in which large amounts of a protein called albumin leak into your urine.

• Other causes of renal vein thrombosis include injury to the vein, infection, and a tumor.

What tests will I need?

Your physician will recommend the following tests to help determine if you have renal artery stenosis:

• Ultrasound: allows your physician to see your blood vessels and organs using high-frequency sound waves. With ultrasound, your physician can locate clots inside your arteries and determine the size of your kidney

• Angiography:   locates a narrowing or blockage, measures blood flow, and removes blood for testing. In this test, your physician injects a contrast dye into your vessels and then takes x-rays. The structure inside of your vessels appears on the x-ray because x-rays cannot pass through the dye. This test finds the location and pattern of blockages in your kidney blood vessels

• Spiral computed tomography (CT) scan: creates detailed three-dimensional images from x-rays of slices of your body

• Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA: uses magnetic fields and radio waves to produce three-dimensional images of your arteries

• Radionuclide scanning:uses a radioactive substance and a special camera to analyze the blood flow through your kidney

 How are renovascular conditions treated?


• If your physician diagnoses renal artery stenosis, he or she may prescribe blood pressure medications.

Some medications may include:
 • Diuretics
 • Beta-blockers
 • Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
 • Calcium channel blockers


• If you experience sudden blockage in your renal artery, your physician may recommend a procedure called thrombolysis.

• In thrombolysis, a vascular physician injects a clot-dissolving medication directly to a clot through a long, thin tube called a catheter.

• If your physician diagnoses renal vein thrombosis, he or she may give you anticoagulants. These medications decrease your blood's ability to clot. In critical cases of renal vein thrombosis, your physician may perform thrombolysis.

Angioplasty and stenting

• If your renal artery is partially or completely blocked, your physician may recommend a procedure called angioplasty and stenting.

•  To perform this procedure, your physician inserts a catheter through a small incision and guides it through your blood vessels to your renal artery.

• The catheter carries a tiny balloon that inflates and deflates, flattening the plaque against the walls of your artery.

• Next, your physician may insert a tiny metal-mesh tube called a stent in the artery to hold it open.


• Two surgical procedures that your physician may use to treat renal artery stenosis are endarterectomy and surgical bypass.

• In a renal endarterectomy, a vascular surgeon removes the inner lining of your renal artery, which contains the plaque. This removes the plaque and leaves a smooth, wide-open artery.

• Bypass surgery creates a detour around the narrowed or blocked sections of your renal artery.

• To create this bypass, a vascular surgeon connects one of your veins or a tube made from man-made materials above and below the area that is blocked. This creates a new path for your blood to flow to your kidneys.

• The choice of the procedure that is best for your situation depends upon the extent and location of the blockages. 

What can I expect?

Your vascular surgeon will discuss the treatment options with you and decide on the treatment that is right for you.

Angioplasty and stenting

• Prior to your procedure, tests may be scheduled such as blood work, electrocardiogram (ECG), and chest x-ray. These may be done at a separate appointment, or the day of the procedure

• Angioplasty or stenting is commonly done as an outpatient procedure, although some patients are hospitalized (inpatients)

• You can wear whatever you like to the hospital. You will wear a hospital gown during the procedure.

• If you normally wear dentures, glasses or a hearing assist device, plan to wear them during the procedure to assist with communication.

• Your doctor or nurse will give you specific instructions about what you can and cannot eat or drink before the procedure.

• Ask your doctor what medications should be taken on the day of your test. You may be told to stop certain medications, such as Coumadin (warfarin, a blood thinner).

• If you have diabetes, ask your physician how to adjust your medications the day of your test.

• Tell your doctor and/or nurses if you are allergic to anything, especially iodine, shellfish, x-ray dye, penicillin-type medications, latex or rubber products (such as rubber gloves or balloons).

• You may or may not return home the day of your procedure. When you are able to return home, arrange for a companion to bring you home.

• Please bring a list of your medications (including over-the-counter) and dosages. When you arrive for your appointment, please tell your nurse if you are taking Coumadin (warfarin), Plavix (clopidogrel), diuretics (water pill) or insulin.

• You will be given a hospital gown to wear. A nurse will start an intravenous (IV) line in your arm so that medications and fluids can be administered during the procedure.

• You will lie on a special table and you will be able to watch your procedure  on the monitors.

• The nurse will clean your skin at the site where the catheter (narrow plastic tube) will be inserted (arm or groin). The catheter insertion site may be shaved.

• Sterile drapes are used to cover the site and help prevent infection. It is important that you keep your arms and hands down at your sides, under the sterile drapes.

• Electrodes (small, flat, sticky patches) will be placed on your chest. The electrodes are attached to an electrocardiograph monitor (ECG), which monitors your heart rate and rhythm.

• You will be given a mild sedative to relax you, but you will be awake and conscious during the entire procedure.

• In some cases, a catheter may be placed into your bladder during the procedure.

• The doctor will use a local anesthetic to numb the site. A plastic introducer sheath (a short, hollow tube through which the catheter is placed) is inserted in a blood vessel in your arm or groin. A catheter will be inserted through the sheath and threaded to the arteries of your heart. You may feel pressure as the introducer sheath or catheter are inserted, but you should not feel pain. Tell the nurse or doctor if you feel any pain.

Angiography is usually performed again at the beginning of the angioplasty procedure or sometimes the angioplasty procedure is performed at the time of the initial angiogram.

Please tell the doctor or nurses if you feel:
• itching, tightness in the throat (allergic reaction)
• nausea
• chest discomfort
• any other symptoms

After the procedure:

• The catheters and sheath are removed.

• The incision will be closed with applied pressure, suture device or a "plug." A "plug" is a material which works with your body's natural healing processes to form a clot in the artery. You will need to lie flat and keep the leg straight for two to six hours to prevent bleeding (less time if a plug was used). Your head cannot be raised more than 30 degrees (2 pillows high). Do not try to sit or stand.

• A sterile dressing will be placed on the angio site to protect it from infection. The nurse will check your bandage regularly, but call your nurse if you think you are bleeding (have a wet, warm sensation) or if your toes begin to tingle or feel numb.

• You will need to drink plenty of liquids to clear the contrast material from your body. You may feel the need to urinate more frequently. This is normal. If you are on bed rest, you will need to use a bedpan or urinal.

• Your doctor will tell you if you are able to return home or will need to stay overnight. In either case, you will be monitored for several hours after the procedure.

• Treatment, including medications, diet and future procedures, will be discussed with you prior to going home. Care of the wound site, activity and follow-up care will also be discussed.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

What Is "Normal" Anyways?????????

I have a question for all of you.....

I keep hearing a reference made to "If Only I Was Normal Like Other People"....

What is "Normal" anyway. I use to wonder the same thing. But as I have gotten older I realize that "Normal" is a state of being within ourselves.

Everyone has problems and health issues. I could not imagine one person on this earth that is completely carefree, completely healthy, and no problems whatsoever. It there was, would you classify that as being "Normal"?

What would be a "Normal" person..... I would like feed back, because all my life I have been trying to be "Normal" but since I don't know what that is, I can't gauge my progress.

"Normal"..... hummmmmmmmmm, now that would be an awesome concept.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

What Are The Symptoms Of Lyme disease?

Lyme disease affects different areas of the body in varying degrees as it progresses. The site where the tick bites the body is where the bacteria enter through the skin. As the bacteria spread in the skin away from the initial tick bite, the infection causes an expanding reddish rash that is often associated with "flu-like" symptoms. Later, it can produce abnormalities in the joints, heart, and nervous system.

Lyme disease is medically described in three phases as: (1) early localized disease with skin inflammation; (2) early disseminated disease with heart and nervous system involvement, including palsies and meningitis; and (3) late disease featuring motor and sensory nerve damage and brain inflammation as well as arthritis.

In the early phase of the illness, within days to weeks of the tick bite, the skin around the bite develops an expanding ring of unraised redness. There may be an outer ring of brighter redness and a central area of clearing, leading to a "bull's-eye" appearance. This classic initial rash is called "erythema migrans" (formerly called erythema chronicum migrans). Patients often can't recall the tick bite (the ticks can be as small as the periods in this paragraph). Also, they may not have the identifying rash to signal the doctor. More than one in four patients never even develop a rash. The redness of the skin is often accompanied by generalized fatigue, muscle and joint stiffness, swollen lymph nodes ("swollen glands"), and headache, resembling symptoms of a virus infection.

The redness resolves, without treatment, in about a month. Weeks to months after the initial redness of the skin the bacteria and their effects spread throughout the body. Subsequently, disease in the joints, heart, and nervous system can occur.

The later phases of Lyme disease can affect the heart, causing inflammation of the heart muscle. This can result in abnormal heart rhythms and heart failure. The nervous system can develop facial muscle paralysis (Bell's palsy), abnormal sensation due to disease of peripheral nerves (peripheral neuropathy), meningitis, and confusion. Arthritis, or inflammation in the joints, begins with swelling, stiffness, and pain. Usually, only one or a few joints become affected, most commonly the knees. The arthritis of Lyme disease can look like many other types of inflammatory arthritis and can become chronic.

Researchers have also found that anxiety and depression occur with an increased rate in people with Lyme disease. This is another important aspect of the evaluation and management of this condition.
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Lyme Disease And Animals

What is Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is a bacterial disease caused by Borrelia burgdorferi (boar-ELL-ee-uh burg-dorf-ERR-eye). Within 1 to 2 weeks of being infected, people may have a "bull's-eye" rash with fever, headache, and muscle or joint pain. Some people have Lyme disease and do not have any early symptoms. Other people have a fever and other "flu-like" symptoms without a rash.

After several days or weeks, the bacteria may spread throughout the body of an infected person. These people can get symptoms such as rashes in other parts of the body, pain that seems to move from joint to joint, and signs of inflammation of the heart or nerves. If the disease is not treated, a few patients can get additional symptoms, such as swelling and pain in major joints or mental changes, months after getting infected.

Can animals transmit Lyme disease to me?

Yes, but not directly. People get Lyme disease when they are bitten by ticks carrying B. burgdorferi. Ticks that carry Lyme disease are very small and can be hard to see. These tiny ticks bite mice infected with Lyme disease and then bite people or other animals, such as dogs and horses, passing the disease to them.

How can I protect myself from Lyme disease?

  • Whenever possible, you should avoid entering areas that are likely to be infested with ticks, particularly in spring and summer when nymphal ticks feed.
  • If you are in an area with ticks, you should wear light-colored clothing so that ticks can be spotted more easily and removed before becoming attached.
  • If you are in an area with ticks, wear long-sleeved shirts, and tuck your pants into socks. You may also want to wear high rubber boots (since ticks are usually located close to the ground).
  • Application of insect repellents containing DEET (n,n-diethyl-m-toluamide) to clothes and exposed skin, and permethrin (which kills ticks on contact) to clothes, should also help reduce the risk of tick attachment. DEET can be used safely on children and adults but should be applied according to Environmental Protection Agency guidelines to reduce the possibility of toxicity.
  • Since transmission of B. burgdorferi from an infected tick is unlikely to occur before 36 hours of tick attachment, check for ticks daily and remove them promptly. Embedded ticks should be removed by using fine-tipped tweezers. Cleanse the area with an antiseptic.
  • You can reduce the number of ticks around your home by removing leaf litter, and brush- and wood-piles around your house and at the edge of your yard. By clearing trees and brush in your yard, you can reduce the likelihood that deer, rodents, and ticks will live there.

How can I find more information about Lyme disease?

Learn more about Lyme disease, including answers to frequently asked questions, the natural history of Lyme disease and a narrated documentary, at CDC's Lyme disease web site.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

New York Listing Of Health Insurance Programs For Low Income

Related Links

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Social Security Disability Starter Kits

The Disability Starter Kit will help you get ready for your disability interview or online application. Kits are available for adults and for children under age 18.

The starter kits provide information about the specific documents and the information that we will request from you. We will ask for more details during your interview or when you complete the online Disability Report.

The kits also provide general information about the disability programs and our decision-making process that can help take some of the mystery out of applying for disability benefits.

Each Disability Starter Kit contains a:

  • Fact sheet that answers questions most people ask about applying for disability benefits,
  • Checklist of documents and information we will request, and
  • Worksheet to help you gather and organize the information you will need.

Click on one of the following links to view or print a kit:

Adult Disability Starter Kit Adult Disability Starter Kit – English
Conjunto de materiales para iniciar la solicitud de incapacidad de un adulto - Español

SSI disability benefits for a child under age 18:

SSI Child Disability Starter Kit SSI Child Disability Starter Kit – English
Conjunto de materiales para iniciar la solicitud de SSI por incapacidad de un niño - Español

If you are more comfortable speaking in a language other than English, we provide free interpreter service upon request to conduct your Social Security business. This service is available when you talk to us by phone or in a Social Security office. Log on to:

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Idaho KinCare Resources

A KinCare provider is a grandparent or other family member raising a relative’s child. KinCare placements may be made formally through a social service agency but are more frequently arranged without formal intervention, usually occurring when family members voluntarily take the children into their homes to keep them safe in times of family crisis. This arrangement can be challenging from legal, financial, and emotional standpoints. If you are one of the 10,000 KinCare providers in Idaho, you are not alone and there is support available for you in the community.

Select from the links below to find more information about KinCare issues.

Legal Resources

Information about custodial arrangements, legal actions, legal forms, and legal services

Community Resources

Information about financial assistance, health and dental insurance, early childhood education, intervention services for developmentally and physically disabled children, and food assistance programs

Statewide KinCare Support Groups

Information about local support groups

Statewide KinCare Newsletters

Links to regional newsletters

Tax Information

Information about taxes for kincare providers

School Information

Information about school enrollment for kincare children

Hot Links

Links to websites with parenting information and more community resources

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Application And Instructions For Applying For Idaho Child Care Assistance

The Idaho Child Care Program (ICCP) provides child care assistance to low-income, working families by paying for a portion of child care. This program is for parents who work, attend school, or participate in approved activities to help prevent children from being placed in foster care. The program pays for part of the child care costs for eligible households, and parents also pay for a portion (called a co-pay). The parent’s share is based on the size of the family and the amount of their income. The Department also licenses child care providers and is working with community partners on a professional development system to improve child care services in Idaho.

You may apply for child care assistance by visiting our
Apply for Assistance page. Submit completed applications to your local Health and Welfare office. You may use the office-finder to assist you in finding your local office. You may also go directly to your local office and apply there. At the office you'll have an opportunity to talk with someone about your household situation and your needs so that you can make an informed choice about any services you want to receive. If you choose to go to your local office, be sure to go prepared with documentation that we use to verify your income, expenses, resources, etc. Taking these documents with you will speed up the time it takes us to process your application for assistance.

In order to receive assistance paying for child care, certain eligibility requirements must be met in areas such as residency, income, work/training activities, and other areas based on your household's circumstances.

The amount of child care assistance you get is based on a number of things like, your income, the cost of child care, and the number of hours you spend working, in school, or participating in approved activities. The amount of assistance also varies by location in the State, and the type of provider your prefer for your children. Only a certain amount of the cost of child care can by covered by the Idaho Child Care Program. Most parents will have to pay for a portion of their child care costs - a co-pay as well as any amounts charged by the child care provider that exceeds the program limit.

If you want more information about the Idaho Child Care Program, check out the
Child Care Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the information you're looking for, or you need information or forms in a different format than provided on our web site, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) For Residents Of Michigan

LIHEAP is federal money given to each state to assist low-income families with energy costs. In Michigan, the LIHEAP block grant is used for the following programs:

  • Home Heating Credit
  • State Emergency Relief (SER)
  • Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Home Heating Credit

The Home Heating Credit is available to all low-income households. The Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and makes the payments. You do not need to file a state income tax return to receive the Home Heating Credit. You may apply for the Home Heating Credit only. Eligibility is based on income, number of exemptions and household heating costs.

Application forms are available from the Department of Treasury, local Department of Human Services offices and anywhere Michigan tax return forms are available. Forms are automatically mailed to households who received a credit last year. Applications are available from mid to late January and may be made through September 30 of each year.

Request a Home Heating Credit Claim form (MI-1040CR-7) from the list of forms on the Michigan Department of Treasury website or for more information go to the Energy Assistance Programs Home Heating Creditweb site.

State Emergency Relief (SER)

The State Emergency Relief (SER) program is administered by the Department of Human Services (DHS). An application is needed to request assistance and an appointment is generally required. To apply, please contact the  local DHS office in the county in which you reside.

SER is a crisis intervention program and provides services such as payment for heating fuel, electricity and home repairs. Eligibility is based on:

  • demonstration of immediate need (shut off notice), or
  • declared need for a deliverable fuel such as fuel oil, or
  • verified need for energy related home repair, and
  • income, and
  • assets.

SER Payments

  • Heating fuel has an annual maximum of $550 to $1,100 depending on the fuel type. The maximum payment may change based on available funding.
  • State Energy-related home repairs have a $4,000 lifetime limit per household.
  • Heat, Electric and home repairs are only issued to enrolled LIHEAP providers. The enrollment form is the DHS-355, Energy Supplier Participation Agreement.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Michigan's Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federally funded, low-income residential energy conservation program. The program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. These services reduce energy use and lower utility bills, thus creating more self-sufficient households. Services are typically administered by local Community Action Agencies and include:

  • Wall Insulation
  • Attic Insulation and Ventilation
  • Foundation Insulation
  • Air Leakage Reduction
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Dryer Venting

For more information on LIHEAP, call the toll free DHS Energy Hotline at 1-800-292-5650 between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:45 pm Monday through Friday.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

How To Apply For Section 8 Housing In Riverside County, California


How to Apply

If you are disabled and need special accessibility features, please visit our informational page concerning accommodation.

If you want to register on the waiting list for Public Housing, Mod Rehab or Project Based Housing, you may do so by using Form 2010-R.  Please note, you will not be added to the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program waiting list, also known as Section 8, as it closed on July 1, 2010 for everyone but those who are 75 years or older or are veterans (see the next paragraph and use Form 2010-V if you are eligible).

  • Apply online with our secure registration form.
  • You can download the form, complete it and then mail it in, or bring it in person or fax it. Applications may also be taken over the phone as a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities.
  • Our office locations and phone numbers are available here.
  • If you have difficulty with the form, you may call and request that a registration be mailed to you.

If you are a Veteran or widow/er of a Veteran or are 75 years of age or older and want to register on any or all waiting lists, including the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, you may do so by using Form 2010-V.  The option to submit on-line is not available as you must provide a copy of your DD-214 as proof of veteran status.  If you are a widow/er of a Veteran, in addition to the Veteran’s DD-214 you must submit a copy of your marriage certificate and the Veteran’s death certificate.  If you are 75 years of age or older, please submit a copy of your birth certificate or valid California Identification (ID).  If it is determined that you do not meet the definition of a veteran according to California Military and Veterans Code, Section 980 or the age requirement, you will not be added to the HCV waiting list.

  • You can download the form, complete it and then mail it in with the required verification, or bring it in person or fax it. Applications may also be taken over the phone as a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities but verification is still required.
  • Our office locations and phone numbers are available here.
  • If you have difficulty with the form, you may call and request that a registration be mailed to you.

If you need to make changes to an existing registration for any program, please do so by using Form 2010-C.

  • Apply online with our secure registration form.
  • You can download the form, complete it and then mail it in, or bring it in person or fax it. Applications may also be taken over the phone as a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities.
  • Our office locations and phone numbers are available here.

If you have difficulty with the form, you may call and request that a registration be mailed to you.


Waiting List Preferences

The Housing Authority (HA) has implemented the following preferences for selecting names from the waiting list. In accordance with California State Law, at each level of preferences, veterans and/or active duty servicemen and their spouse or widow/er will have priority. The Housing Authority will release families to result in a lease up of:

  • 75% of the families will be at or below 30% of the median income (extremely low income), and 25% of the families will be between 30% and 50% of the median income (very low income).

The release will be in accordance with Federal Regulations. A family must meet both of the characteristics of a “Level of Preference”. If the First Level of Preference releases do not satisfy the regulations regarding extremely low income families, releases will be done at the second Level of Preference and then to the Third Level of Preference until the 75% extremely low income requirement is met.

First Level of Preference

  • County of Riverside Residency Preference, and
  • Rent-burdened or homeless, and
  • Working Families with dependent or minor children or Elderly families or Disabled families

To meet the Riverside Residency preference, a family must live or work in Riverside County.

To meet the Rent Burdened preference, a family must be paying more than 30% of family income for rent.  In order to be given the preference of rent burdened, a family must provide evidence that is verifiable.

To be considered an Elderly family for the purpose of meeting the waiting list preference the head of household or spouse/co-head must be 62 years of age or older. 

To be considered a Working family with minor or dependent children for the purpose of meeting the waiting list preference the head of household and/or spouse/co-head must be working at least 32 hours per week at California minimum wage or higher for the last 60 days, or receiving Unemployment, State Disability or Workman’s Compensation in lieu of earnings provided that the person was employed and working at least 32 hours per week at California minimum wage for 60 days prior to receiving Unemployment, State Disability or Workman’s Compensation.

To be considered a "Disabled family" for the purpose of meeting the waiting list preference the head of household or spouse/co-head must meet HUD's definition of disability.

The wait to have your name selected from the Section 8 waiting list cannot be anticipated at this time.  It will be selected if you meet the above preferences, meet the income limits listed below, and you are registered on the Section 8 waiting list. Names within each preference are selected based on the date and time of registration.  

The wait for Public Housing may be shorter, depending upon vacancies. The public housing program has the same preferences with additional requirements for credit and landlord references.

If you need affordable housing while you wait for assistance, please see our Affordable Housing page. If you need emergency assistance please see our resources page.

*Remember that it is the registrant's responsibility to keep the waiting list information current at all times. If you fail to report a new address, your registration will be cancelled. If you fail to respond to mailings or if mail is returned to the Housing Authority as undeliverable, your registration will be cancelled. Registrants on the waiting list may use the following link to access the online change reporting page at:

If you need to make changes to an existing registrationfor any program, please do so by using Form 2010-C.

  • Apply online with our secure registration form.
  • You can download the form, complete it and then mail it in, or bring it in person or fax it. Applications may also be taken over the phone as a reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities.
  • Our office locations and phone numbers are available here.

There are also a limited number of registrants selected that meet the qualifications for an Extraordinary Local Preference.  In order to be selected for this preference, special events must have occurred.  Events such as displacement by government action (like having to move so a freeway can be built) or witness protection program through the District Attorney's office. To be considered for this preference, directors from the agencies involved must request and certify the need.

This program has limited funding and we are not able to help all that register for assistance. If you do not meet all of the above preferences, the wait for assistance will be quite long.

For a flow chart of how Section 8 works there is a pdf file available here
*If you do not have an Adobe Acrobat reader, you can download the reader free at Adobe

If you have questions about your registration, you can call 351-0700 ext 7301. Please leave a detailed message with your name and social security number so that research may be done prior to a return phone call. If you have applied and did not receive a confirmation letter, please submit another registration.

To qualify for housing assistance, a family's income must be equal to or less than the income amount established by HUD. See above for the split between those under 30 percent of the median and those between 30 and 50 percent of the median.

Maximum Gross Income Table

 Effective 05/17/2010

Family Members

Extremely Low Income Limits

(30% of median)

Very Low Income limits

(50% of median)

Low Income Limits

(80% of median)

in household









































































































In addition to income requirements, families must provide proof of legal residence in the United States, any Social Security number to which they have been assigned and must sign consent forms to verify the income and assets that they have reported. The Housing Authority will check on the criminal record of adult family members and check to see if any member is required to register as a sexual offender. Families that have a member or members who have engaged in violent criminal activity or drug related criminal activity are, in most cases, not eligible for housing assistance. Families with members that are required to register as sexual offenders are not eligible for public housing or the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Please see our participant obligations and the Zero Tolerance Policy page for more information.

Renting to Relatives under Section 8 is prohibited. The regulation, 24 CFR 982.306 (d) now reads "The HA must not approve a unit if the owner is the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, or brother of any member of the family unless the HA determines that approving the unit would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities." The regulation effective date is June 17, 1998. The owner is prohibited from living in the assisted unit.

Facts and Reminders.

The subsidy standards used by the Housing Authority in determining the number of bedrooms each family is authorized is as follows. A bedroom is authorized for the head of household and spouse or partner. If there is no spouse or partner, the head of household is authorized one bedroom alone. For each two additional persons another bedroom is authorized. In the case of a family with an odd number of family members in addition to the head and spouse, an additional bedroom is authorized. This policy is in keeping with Federal Regulations that require the Housing Authority to designate standards that provide for the smallest number of bedrooms needed to house a family without overcrowding. Please see the Code of Federal Regulations 24 Part 982.402 (1). Families that are moving or who have had a recent change in the family composition may have a change in the number of bedrooms that they are authorized on the Voucher. All families drawn from the waiting list will be issued Vouchers based on these subsidy standards. Families with Vouchers will be reviewed at annual re-examination time and the current voucher payment standards must be applied.

Here is the procedure for the way names are drawn from the waiting list for Section 8 assistance. When your name is reached on the waiting list, you must provide proof that you meet the preferences above. If those items are provided, you will need to complete an eligibility questionnaire and provide additional documentation. If all eligibility requirements are met, you will need to attend a group meeting to receive your voucher and additional information on how the program works. If you do not meet any of the preferences explained above your registration will be withdrawn.

If you want more information on the Public Housing Reform Act, there is a Summary Page in this site.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Veterans Survivors' And Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Benefit Description

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Period of Eligibility

If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.

If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran. If the VA rated the veteran permanently and totally disabled with an effective date of 3 years from discharge a spouse will remain eligible for 20 years from the effective date of the rating. This change is effective October 10, 2008 and no benefits may be paid for any training taken prior to that date.

For surviving spouses (spouses of servicemembers who died on active duty) benefits end 20 years from the date of death.

How to Apply

You should make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are not clear on this point, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the State where you will train. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application.

If you have started training, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA.

Other Related Benefits

For additional information see Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program -Pamphlet or contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing our toll-free number, 1-888-442-4551.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rhode Island Temporary Cash Assistance For Low Income


Rhode Island Works

The Department of Human Services' Rhode Island Works Program offers temporary cash assistance, health coverage, child care assistance, and help finding job training or a job.  This program is available for pregnant women and adults with children under age 18 (or under age 19 if child is a full-time student).  Services are available statewide. The Rhode Island Works used to be called the Family Independence Program (FIP).  

How it Works

The RI Works Program encourages adult family members to work by offering the following benefits and support services: 

  • Cash Assistance is provided on a temporary basis to needy families that meet certain guidelines.
  • Health Care is provided through the RIte Care Program. Families can choose a participating RIte Care health plan. See RIte Care for more information.
  • Child Care Assistance is provided if needed.
  • Assistance with Finding Work or Job Training is also available.
  • Food Assistance is available through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly called Food Stamps).
  • Transportation reimbursement or bus passes are available to support preparation for employment.


Eligibility for the RI Works program is based on a family's income and resources. For more information, please make an appointment to see a DHS worker at a local DHS Office.

How to Apply

To apply, contact your local DHS Office. You will need to complete an application and provide proof of identity, income, assets/resources and expenses.

For More Information


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Connecticut Energy Assistance Programs

Connecticut Energy Assistance Program
The State helps families pay for their heating and energy bills using Federal LIHEAP funding. Eligible applicants include those who receive cash from the State, food stamps or state administered general assistance, or whose annual household income is at or below 150% the federal poverty guideline.

Contact Information: For further information, please call the state 2-1-1 Infoline, your local Community Action Agency, or the Department of Social Services' winter heating assistance line at 1-800-842-1132.
Operation Fuel and Private Fuel Banks
Operation Fuel is a statewide nonprofit organization that provides emergency energy assistance to elderly, disabled, and low-income working poor families who are facing financial crisis and are not eligible for, or have exhausted their, government benefits.  Operation Fuel works closely with local fuel banks to provide this voluntary assistance.

Contact Information:  For a list of fuel banks in Connecticut, please click here.
Utility Arrearage Forgiveness Programs
Many Connecticut utility companies have programs designed to help customers pay back portions of their overdue bills.

Contact Information: To apply, contact your local utility company.
Winter Protection Program
This program is designed to prevent utility shutoff for "hardship cases" during November 1st and April 15th.

Contact Information: To apply, contact your local utility company.
Connecticut Light & Power Matching Payments Program
CL&P's program provides year round electric service and possible forgiveness of back balances to low-income electric heating customers.

Contact Information: Call 1-800-286-2828 or 860-947-2828.
Connecticut Light & Power NUSTART
NUSTART is CL&P's program designed to give a fresh start to low-income customers whose income is below 200% of the federal poverty level and have a past-due balance of $100 or more on a CL&P bill.

Contact Information: Call 1-800-286-2828 or 860-947-2828.
Yankee Gas Low Income Assistance
If you are having difficulties paying your natural gas bills, Yankee Gas can assist you with special payment arrangements tailored to your individual needs. Or, you may qualify for the Yankee Gas Winter Protection Plan, which will protect you from having your gas service turned off for nonpayment, typically between November 1 and mid-April each year.

Contact Information: Call 1-800-438-2278.
The Soldiers', Sailors', and Marines' Fund Assistance
This program provides limited assistance to veterans who are residents of Connecticut.

Contact Information: Call 1-800-491-4941.

Back to Top
Weatherization Assistance Program
If you apply for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program, you also apply for the Weatherization Assistance Program. This program helps pay for the weatherization of homes.

Contact Information:
Energy Conservation Loan Program
The Connecticut Housing Investment offers loans to families for energy conservation improvements.

Contact Information: Call 1-800-992-3665
UI Helps Program
If you are a low income or hardship residential customer of the United Illuminating Company, the UI Helps Program can provide free energy-saving products for your home. All income-eligible customers can have energy-efficient compact fluorescent lighting installed in their homes, and you may qualify for other services if you are electric heat and/or hot water. UI Helps also provides evaluations for possible free replacement of old, customer-owned refrigerators and window room air conditioners (wall sleeve units not eligible) with ENERGY STAR® qualified models.

Contact Information: Call the UI Helps Program Hotline at (203) 499-2648.
Operation Fuel
This non-profit program that provides oil heat to low income and working class families in need.

Contact Information:
CNG Insulation and Weatherization Program
This program is for CNG's qualified hardship status residential customers that use natural gas for heat.

Contact Information:
Southern Connecticut Gas Limit the Gap
This home weatherization and insulation program is offered to hardship-qualified SNG customers.

Contact Information: Call the Community Action Center at (203) 848-6967, ext 217

Southern Connecticut Gas Hardship Energy Audits
This program offers home energy audits to qualified hardship customers of SNG.

Contact Information: Call the Community Action Center at (203) 848-6967, ext 217

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Connecticut Programs For People With Disabilities

Food Assistance
Cash Assistance
Repatriation (U.S. Citizens abroad)
  • No URL at this time
Social Work Services
Winter Heating Aid
Housing Assistance
Affirmative Action
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rental Assistance Help For Residents Of Connecticut

Subsidized Apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.  To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

 -   Search for a subsidized apartment

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

 -   PHAs in Connecticut
 -   Links to PHA websites
 -   Questions? Email us
or call (800) 955-2232

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Need advice?
 -   Contact a housing counseling agency

Other Connecticut Resources
 -   Connecticut Department of Social Services - find out if you qualify for state-funded rental assistance programs
 -   Connecticut Housing Choice Voucher Program – locate open waiting lists throughout Connecticut
 -   2-1-1 Infoline  - rental housing search and assistance with housing issues
 -   CT Housing Search - find accessible, affordable and market rate rental housing
 -   Find units for rent in rural Connecticut
 -   Independent living centers - for seniors and people with disabilities
 -   Search for federal tax credit rental housing
 -   Help with your utility bills
 -   Tenant rights, laws and protections
 -   Housing resources for seniors
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Connecticut Listing Of Programs For Families With Children (and Pregnant Women)

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rental Assistance Help For Residents Of Wisconsin

Subsidized Apartments
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.  To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.

 -   Search for a subsidized apartment

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

 -   PHAs in Wisconsin
 -   Links to PHA websites

Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.

Need advice?
 -   Contact a housing counseling agency

Other Wisconsin Resources
 -   Local tenant rights, laws and protections
 -   Help with your utility bills
 -   Find rural units for rent
 -   Independent living centers
 -   Search for affordable apartments in Wisconsin by location
 -   HOME contacts
 -   HUD Multifamily Housing in the Milwaukee Metropolitan Area
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Free Or Low Cost Clothing And Household Goods In Milwaukee, Wisconsin

The Alano Shop
The Alano Club of Milwaukee
1521 N. Prospect Ave., 3rd floor
414.278.9102 ext. 2
Hours: Sunday from noon - 2 p.m.
*Free clothing and household items for people in recovery with limited or no income

Bargain Center North
8401 W. Lisbon Ave.
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Bargain Center South
5005 W. Howard Ave.
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Blessed Again Resale
7624 W. Hampton Ave.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Bottomless Closet
6040 W. Lisbon Ave.
*Women call for appointment for business attire

Casa Maria Clothing Shed
1131 N. 21st St.
Hours: Monday & Wednesday from 10 a.m. - noon.
*Free clothing

Children's Clothing Bank
St. Stephen's Church
5880 S. Howell Ave.
Hours: Tuesday from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. and Thursday from
10 a.m. - noon

The Economy Center
7814 W. Burleigh St.
Hours: Tuesday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Saturday from 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Golden Rule Church
2430 W. Hopkins
Hours: Monday - Saturday from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Good Samaritan Outreach Center
5926 W. Burnham
Hours: Tuesday - Thursday from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
*Photo ID, current utility bill and children's medical cards required

190 N. Broadway St.

6055 N. 91st St.

6941 S. 27th St.

3900 N. Palmer St.

House of Peace
1702 W. Walnut St.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - noon and 1 - 5 p.m.

JLH Women's Mentoring Services
3846 W. Wisconsin Ave., Suite 109
Hours: Monday & Wednesday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
*ID and proof of residence required

Kids Kloset
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
3200 S. Herman
Hours: Monday from noon - 3 p.m., Tuesday from 10 a.m. -
1 p.m. and Wednesday from 12:30 - 3 p.m.

Milwaukee Clothing Bank
3832 W. Lisbon Ave.
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon - 5 p.m.

Northcott Neighborhood House
2460 N. 6th St.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Pregnancy Help Center of Milwaukee
6234 W. Capitol Dr.

1225 W. Mitchell St., Suite 217
Hours: Call 24/7 for appointment or more information
*Case worker referral required

Red Door Clothes
St. James Episcopal Church
833 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Hours: 1st and 3rd Saturday of month from 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.

Reformation Lutheran Church
2201 N. 35th St.
Hours: Wednesday & Saturday from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Resale Shop & Boutique
Christ Child Society
4033 W. Good Hope Rd.
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday from 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday of month from 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Salvation Army Thrift Store
6341 S. 27th St.
Hours: Monday - Saturday from 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

1725 S. 13th St.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. and
Saturday from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

7713 W. Greenfield Ave.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Silver Spring Neighborhood Center Clothing Bank
5460 N. 64th St.

St. Vincent de Paul
2320 W. Lincoln Ave.
Hours: Monday - Saturday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

UMCS Clothing
3832 W. Lisbon
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon - 5 p.m.
*ID required

Value Village
324 W. North Ave.

3100 E. Layton Ave.

729 S. Layton Ave.

Wellington Park Lutheran Church
7017 W. Medford Ave.
Hours: 1st Saturday of month from 10 - 11:30 a.m.
*Free clothing with $1 donation or non-perishable food item

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Listing Of Clothing Banks In Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Reformation Lutheran Church
Neighborhood Store
2201 N 35 (enter on 35th & Garfield)
high quality and very low-cost clothes, furniture, household goods, many baby items.
10 am-2pm Wed & Sat

Silver Spring Neighborhood Center Free Clothing Bank
5460 N. 64th St., one block south of Silver Spring on 64th St. 
On bus route 23. 
For info, call Silver Spring Neighborhood Center at 414/463-7950.

Milwaukee Clothing Bank
United Methodist Children’s Services
3832 W. Libson
Noon–5:00 pm M-W-F. 
Bring picture ID.

Casa Maria

Call 414/344-5745
1131 N. 21st St., Garage in back. 
Mon & Wed 10 am–2 pm. 

House of Peace Clothing Bank
1702 W. Walnut
10 am–noon & 1 pm–4 pm Mon–Fri.   
Call for info 414/933-1300. 
Must have picture ID.

Children’s Clothing Bank
Sizes Newborn to 6T, shoes, hangers, socks. 
Emergency formula and diapers
Family Life Center, St. Stephen, 5880 S. Howell. 
3:30–5:30pm Mon & Wed
414/483-2685 ext. 225 or 226. 
Call before going.

Scott Christian Youth Center
2741 N. Teutonia. 
Clothing/limited, supply/unsorted.
Mon-Sat Call for hours 414/263-3177.

New 2 Me
A free clothing closet for ex-offenders.
Call 414/562-4636. 
If currently on Federal, State, County probation/parole you will need a referral on letterhead.

Good Samaritan Outreach
5926 W. Burnham
10am–2pm T, W, Th. 
Boundaries:  S of Wisconsin Ave., N of Ryan, between 27th St. & 124th St.  
Food & clothing pantry.  
Need photo ID, current utility bill to verify address and children’s medical cards. 

Milwaukee Birthright
2025 W Oklahoma Suite 125.
Newborn clothing, blankets; call 2-3 weeks (for appointment) before due date. 
Bring photo ID, something from MD about date of birth and Soc. Sec # for layettes. 

Bargain Center North
8401 W. Lisbon
9:30 am–3:30 pm T-Sat. 
Re-sale clothing, toys, jewelry,  small household appliances, dishes.

Bargain Center South
5005 W. Howard
9:30 am – 3:30 pm T–Sat. 
Cash only.

The Economy Store
7814 W Burleigh, Milw. 
open T-F 9:30am-4pm and Sat 9:30-3pm. 
Used clothing, some small furniture for sale.

JLH Women’s Mentoring Services, Inc.
3846 W. Wisconsin Ave., Ste. 109
for single mothers ages 18–25
Mon & Wed 10am-6pm. Some Saturdays (call for availability)
414/934-0216 (appointments only)
Baby supplies, clothes children 6 years & younger (when available). 
Need ID & proof of residence.

Resale Shop Boutique
Christ Child Society

4033 W. Good Hope Rd, (on grounds of Our Lady of Good Hope Church)
Tues & Thurs 9:30am-3:30pm;
1st and 3rd Saturdays 9:30am-12:30pm. 
Infants.children, women’s/men’s clothing (including suits), toys/games/books, housewares/kitchen utensils, classy closet/jewelry,collectibles/treasures/
linens, furniture as available, sporting goods, shoes, lamps.

Bottomless Closet
414/ 875-9290, 6040 W. Libson.  Free clothing for interviewing & jobs.  Bus route 22.  By appoinmtment only 10am-5pm Tues-Thurs.  Need referrals from a social worker.

Price is Right Shoppe
need caseworker referral
(not HOPE Network) for free clothes, small household items, books.
629 N. 36th St.
414/ 933-7279
9-3 Mon & Tues.

Wellington Park Lutheran Church
1st Sat of month
7017 W. Medford (1 blk north of Hampton) free clothing; 
$1 donation or bring 1 non-perishable food item for food pantry. 

Red Door Clothes located in St. James Episcopal (Milwaukee)
located at 833 W. Wisconsin. 
1st & 3rd Sat. of the month from 8:30-10:30 am. 
Call 414/271-1340.

Blessed Again Resale
624 W. Hampton
10am-5pm, M-F, 10am-4pm, Sat.
low-cost children’s & maternity clothing, shoes, furniture, electronics, housewares. 

Pregnancy Help Center
free maternity & baby clothes up size 4T, free diapers to size 5, free formula (as available), and layette program. 
Two locations: 
6234 W. Capital
1225 W. Mitchell, Ste. 217

Just 4 Kids & Teens Resale Shop
clothing, furniture, bedding, books, toys. 
24 S. Main St. Oconomowoc. 
I 94- to Hwy 16 west. 
Closed Sun & Mon.

Father Gene’s HELP Center
5919 W. National.
To receive clothing, call 10:30am-noon M,W,F.
414/258-HELP (4357). 
May use every six months. All sizes available.

UMCS Clothing
3832 W. Lisbon – ID required. 
M,W,F noon-5pm.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends